Thursday 3 July 2014

GoPro external Olympus ME-51s mic location

The key to recording good exhaust noise on a GoPro is definitely to use an external condenser microphone. Through some trial and error I have found the Olympus ME-51s to do the job perfectly and if you follow my link you can purchase one approximately 60% cheaper than I have seen these for sale elsewhere. However, the location of the mic seems to be very important. In the previous post, the microphone was simply mounted on the outside of the boot lid. It captured great sound but, in my opinion too much wind noise, especially when not on the throttle.

 

A slightly better way to mount the microphone is to hide it from the wind somehow. I tried placing it in the boot to start with - however this just picked up lots of banging and other noise even though it was seemingly empty. The best I have been able to come up with is to locate the mic (complete with fluffy windshield) underneath the lid of the boot, by running the cable underneath the rubber seal. In my car the boot is still able to close without crushing the cable or mic. This way the mic is just far enough out of the wind to reduce that annoying hiss. I also mounted it on the opposite side to the exhaust so that the volume of the exhaust did not distort the sound the mic picked up.

Twisting the rear view mirror around gives better visibility for the GoPro

The Olympus ME-51s sits snuggly between the seal and the light cluster
.

No comments:

Post a Comment